Clean Disruption, Autonomous Cars, and Intelligent Highways
Buckle up. In the next ten years you will see some of the most dramatic changes in history.
Exponential growth in solar technology, artificial intelligence, robotics, and battery storage will sweep away life as we have known it. Just as electric lighting suddenly changed life in certain major cities, as automobiles rapidly displaced horse-drawn carriages, as the industrial revolution devastated feudal society, we are on the brink of an entirely new way of living.
Specialists project that by 2030:
- 100 percent of new energy will come from either solar or wind
- 100 percent of new vehicles will be electric and either autonomous or semi-autonomous
- There will be 20 percent fewer cars
- Oil, nuclear, and natural gas will have disappeared as energy sources
- About 80 percent of freeways and parking lots will have become unnecessary
- Ride-sharing will be the norm
- Taxis will have disappeared
How is this possible? Exponential growth. It is difficult for the human mind to grasp the power of this kind of growth. A technology that doubles in power each year will be 1000 times as powerful in a decade, and a million times more powerful in two decades.
Right now we are seeing that kind of growth in multiple technologies that will converge a revolutionize our way of life. It will be exciting and it will be traumatic, but it is already inevitable. “There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.” Good luck.