Distracted driving is a problem that has reached epidemic levels in the United States. In today’s interconnected, on-the-go world, it is no surprise that behind-the-wheel distraction is one of the leading causes of preventable car accidents in Florida and throughout the country.
Common distractions while driving include:
- Texting or emailing
- Talking on a cell phone
- Looking at GPS devices or reading maps
- Eating and drinking
- Listening to overly loud music
- Using car infotainment systems
- Reaching for an object
Victims of distracted driving accidents are encouraged to get in touch with a Fort Lauderdale car accident lawyer at Kelley/Uustal. We have more than 325 years of combined experience handling auto accident cases and know what it takes to maximize the value of a claim.
Distracted Driving Statistics
Distracted driving is any activity which diverts a driver’s attention away from the road. Even a momentary lapse of attention endangers the driver, their passengers, other motorists, bicyclists, and nearby pedestrians. Here are some alarming statistics on distracted driving:
- Texting and driving results in 330,000 injuries each year (National Safety Council)
- Distracted driving results in approximately 5,000 deaths per year (AAA)
- One out of every four U.S. car accidents is caused by texting while driving (National Safety Council)
- Eight people are killed every day in the U.S. in accidents caused by distracted drivers (CDC)
- Using a handheld phone while driving increases a driver’s crash risk three times (Virginia Tech Transportation Institute)
- Teen drivers are typically distracted almost a quarter of the time they are behind the wheel (AAA)
Request a Review of Your Case
You should not have to suffer the financial consequences of an accident caused by someone who wasn’t paying attention to the road. Kelley/Uustal stands ready to help you pursue justice so that you can move forward from this traumatic experience. We are well known as aggressive advocates who fight for maximum compensation in every personal injury case we handle.