Top 7 Safety Tips for Driving with Pets
Pets are members of the family, and as such, there are many times when they will need to travel with their owners. Whether you are driving them to a grooming appointment or taking them to the dog park to play, their safety should be a top priority. Without the proper precautions, a car trip can be very dangerous for your pet – and you.
Unrestrained pets can be a huge source of distraction for drivers, not to mention that pets can become injured when they are jostled around inside a moving vehicle.
- Never leave your pet inside of a vehicle unattended. Even with the windows cracked, cars can heat up quickly, which can be fatal for your pet.
- Never allow your pet to sit on your lap while you drive. Your pet should also not be allowed to sit unrestrained in the front seat.
- Always ensure that your pet is properly restrained inside of the vehicle by placing them in a pet carrier or by using a specially designed pet seatbelt.
- Never allow your pet to stick any part of their body outside of the vehicle. This could allow grit and debris to blow into their eyes or mucous membranes, which can cause discomfort and infection. It also increases the chance that your pet may fall from the vehicle.
- Never allow your pet to be transported in the bed of a pickup truck. Not only can this result in your pet being seriously injured or killed, but it may result in an accident that may harm someone else. According to the American Humane Society, approximately 100,000 dogs are killed each year because they were riding in truck beds.
- Never leash your dog inside of a truck bed. The leash may present a strangulation hazard, and on particularly hot days, the truck bed may heat up enough to burn a dog’s paws and cause heat stroke.
- Ensure that your pet is wearing a collar with ID tags and contact information in case you become separated. If your pet is not microchipped, you may wish to consider this option.
Pet owners are responsible for the safety of their furry friends. We hope you find the tips above helpful as you enjoy traveling with your pet.